LA VERNE, Calif. — The University of La Verne track and field teams competed at the second SCIAC Mult-Dual of the season Saturday at Ortmayer Stadium. The Leopards scored as a team against Caltech and Redlands and competed against Occidental and Chapman as well.
Both squads went 1-1 with wins over the Beavers and losses to Redlands.
SCIAC Scoring: The competition counts in La Verne's dual meet record which makes up 25 percent of the overall SCIAC standings. The SCIAC Championship at the end of April determines the other 75 percent.
From the Athletes
T.J. Randall led the Leopards with three individual wins in the meet. The senior bookmarked the meet with a win in the hammer throw (46.29m) at Campus West and ended the meet by taking first in the discus (42.50m). The Clovis native added a win in the shot put with a mark of 15.18m putting him 18th in the nation.
La Verne's 100m record holder Catalina Lee Kim scored another win in the event, crossing the finish line at 14.62.
Melissa Cerrillos added a win for the Leopards in the distance in events, taking first in the 1500m with a time of 4:46.40.
In the jumps, Kyle Ambat took first in the long jump with a leap of 6.94m, placing him eighth nationally, and third in the triple jump at 13.59m.
Jade Griffin scored a second place finish in the 100m (12.46), the 23rd best time in Division III this year, and a third-place finish in the 200m (26.03) along with running a leg in both of La Verne's relays.
Women's Event Winners
Catalina Lee Kim, 100m hurdles, 14.62
Melissa Cerrillos, 1500m, 4:46.40
Women's Podium Finishes
Karina Jimenez, 400m, 60.47 (third place)
Jade Griffin, 100m, 12.46 (second place)
Jade Griffin, 200m, 26.03 (third place)
Catalina Lee Kim, long jump, 5.30m (third place)
Ebony Turner, high jump, 1.51m (third place)
Irene Castillo, hammer throw, 35.51m (third place)
Cambria Serrano, javelin, 35.19 (second place)
Women's Team Scores
La Verne 94, Caltech 46
Redlands 105, La Verne 41
Men's Event Winners
Kyle Ambat, long jump, 6.94m
T.J. Randall, discus, 42.50m
T.J. Randall, shot put, 15.18m
T.J. Randall, hammer throw, 46.29m
Men's Podium Finishes
Matthew Salas, 1500m, 4:07.01 (third place)
Matthew Salas, 800m, 1:57.02 (third place)
Kyle Ambat, triple jump, 13.59m (third place)
Anthony Hamilton, high jump, 1.91m (second place)
Michael Brown, discus, 40.08m (second place)
Matthew Pedroza, shot put, 15.18m (third place)
Andres Lemus, javelin, 45.78m (second place)
Men's Team Scores
La Verne, 115, Caltech 36
Redlands, 112.66, La Verne 49.33
Next Meet: The Leopards compete next at the Pomona-Pitzer Invitational next Saturday, April 7.
Follow ULV Athletics on Twitter Like us on Facebook Watch on Youtube Follow us on Instagram